New GCSEs in English language, English literature and Maths will be taught in schools in England from September 2015, with the first results to be issued in August 2017. Over the following two years, further subjects will see the introduction of new GCSEs.
What the new GCSEs will look like
The main features of the new GCSEs are as follows:
- A new grading scale of 9 to 1 will be introduced, with 9 being the top grade. This will allow greater differentiation between students and will help distinguish the new GCSEs from previous versions.
- Assessment will be mainly undertaken by exam, with other types of assessment used only where necessary to test essential skills.
- There will be new, more demanding content, which has been developed jointly by the Government and the exam boards.
- Courses will be designed for two years of study – they will no longer be divided into different modules. As a result, students will take all of their exams in one period at the end of their course.
- Exams can only be split into ‘foundation tier’ and ‘higher tier’ if a single exam paper does not allow all students the opportunity to show their knowledge and abilities.
- Opportunities to resit exams will only be available each November in English language and Maths.
How we can help you
As we are passionate about getting good exam results, we teach students individually, in small groups of 4. We teach the following subjects:
- English Language
- English Literature
Lessons are taught, one-to-one, in small groups of four by highly qualified teachers.
Each lesson lasts 1.5 hours with a break half way.
We recommend two lessons a week for students whose current levels are below C grade so that they can aim to achieve C or above by the time they write their GCSEs.
Monday - Thursday: 5:45 - 9:00 pm
Saturday: 12:15 - 1:45 pm
How Much Does it Cost?
One lesson @ 1.5 hours per week = £34.00 (Sibling rate = £31.00)
Two lessons @ 3 hours per week = £60.00 (Sibling rate = £47.00)
Please see our tutorial pricing page for more information.
What to do next
At Maple, we examine not only academic levels, but also attitudes to learning and self-confidence. Our honest feedback will leave you in no doubt about your child's current levels. Irrespective of whether your child is a well-rounded genius that does the ironing at home, or she hates writing and maths, we can design a personal learning programme tailored to their individual needs. No child is a failure, but some need extra nurturing to instil a sense of belief in their potential.
For all children, we have a way forward:
- Click here to book your free, no obligation assessment.
- We will respond with available times and aim to give you a date within the week.
- Allow an hour or more for this service as we want you and your child to fully understand how we operate and how we can help you.
- After the assessment, you can sign up straight away so your child can start to benefit from tutorials.
- Within a fortnight, we will design a personal education plan that addresses your child’s unique needs.
You really have nothing to lose in contacting us for a free, no-obligation assessment!