Bucks GL 11+ Transfer Test
Buckinghamshire provides two types of secondary schools; grammar schools and upper schools. Grammar schools admit children based on their performance in the 11+ test. However, in 2018, GL Assessments provide the testing and consequently we now teach to meet the new 11+ requirements. The qualifying score for Buckinghamshire grammar schools will continue to be a Secondary Transfer Test Score (STTS) of 121 or above.
What will the 11+ exam be like?
Traditionally, the 11+ test comprises of two fifty minute papers and all the questions will be multiple-choice.. Each child will have a question booklet and a separate answer sheet for each test paper which is something many children may not be familiar with. The question booklet will contain all the necessary instructions about taking the test and all the test questions. In our centre, we provide an environment where children can learn how to approach these questions under similar timed conditions. Answers are machine-marked so children will need to feel confident in how to shade their answers correctly. See our 11+ mock exams for more details.
What questions are in the exam?
Your child will need above average literacy, numeracy and logic skills in order to pass the test. The first paper usually encompasses verbal reasoning and technical English and will have a weighting of 50%. The second paper includes mathematical problems and non-verbal. These both have a weighting of 25%.
What can I do to prepare my child for the 11+ test?
Your child could:
- Book a free assessment at Maple and we can give you honest advice.
- Review most of the KS2 maths and English topics on BBC Bitesize using interactive videos.
- Practice with puzzles and spatial awareness games.
- Read plenty non-fiction and fiction books for an hour a day.
- Work on times tables and double digit multiplication.
- Write a diary to improve handwriting and spelling.
- Attempt the free 11+ practice papers from GL assessment.
Get In Touch
- Maple House, 74 Oxford Road, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP178PL
- 01296 747500