- Shove all school related books, homework and anything vaguely educational in a dark space from December 22nd to January 2nd. All learning will be through socialising with friends and family.
- Do not discuss or even think about those creepy crawlies called 11 Plus, GCSE, A Level and Key Stage thingamabobs.
- If Michael Gove appears on the TV or radio - turn it off immediately or you risk having an ulcer before you can enjoy your turkey and mulled wine.
- Don’t encourage reading unless the books are adventure, sci-fi, soppy romance or travel.
- Homework is the most offensive word you can use during the 12 Days of Sloth. Avoid at all costs.
- Let the kids - especially your teenagers - lie in until at least lunch time during the 12 Days of Sloth. It’s the best time for you to have peace and quiet so take advantage of this natural biological phenomenon rather than nag about it.
- If you’re lucky enough to have grandparents or other family staying over during the 12 Days, take full advantage of them and let them indulge the kids with forbidden treats like chocolate cake for breakfast or watching wall to wall sports & cartoons until 3 am.
- Elderly folk with hearing problems adore loud music so mix the teens with the oldies. Grandparents love receiving i-pads, i-pods and play-stations because it opens up a new relationship with their grandchildren who are thrilled to show how to set up and enjoy them. The reward for you is the grandparents usually pay the kids Maple fees for a whole year!
I look forward to seeing you all again in January 2014.